WHO WE ARE
A Kenyan society that conserves, controls, benefits and enjoys equitable access to natural resources
To consolidate and/or coordinate community efforts in advocating for policies and legislation that promotes equitable access, control and sustainable use of Natural Resources in Kenya.
OUR CORE VALUES
We believes in working together for:-
- Economic and social justice;
- Respect for human rights, democracy and International best practices;
- Gender equality;
- Peace and non-violence;
- Sustainable use of natural resources;
- Inclusivity in decision -making
- Respect for cultural diversity;
- Development with equity and
- Solidarity and transparency.
OUR AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To foster a spirit of partnership and cooperation through information sharing, networking, and collaboration between Members, as well as with other civil society organisations involved in natural resource issues in Kenya;
- To influence Kenya Natural Resource Alliance [protective] policy development and implementation;
- To work towards to create an enabling environment by influencing legislative frameworks and national policy processes which guide natural resource management in Kenya; To promote public awareness with respect to community-centred sustainable management of natural resources in Kenya and beyond the country;
- To promote and facilitate the inclusion of community-centred sustainable management of natural resources in Kenya in policy discussions and decision-making at counties and national levels;
- To support applied research and monitoring of extractive operations involving affected communities, and subsequent sharing and dissemination of resulting information locally and internationally;
- To serve as a credible source of expertise on community-centred sustainable management of natural resources in Kenya in order to enhance the capacity of KeNRA members and provide a readily accessible repository of advocacy tools and information for KeNRA membership;
- To promote appropriate capacity development of its members;
- To collaborate with other stakeholders in achieving KeNRA aim and objectives;
- To maintain links and foster exchanges with related initiatives in Kenya and beyond;
KeNRA (Natural Resources Alliance of Kenya) is an alliance of Kenya (Civil Society Organisations) CSOs that deal with natural resource issues.
KeNRA was formed from an initiative of IANRA (Internatioanal Alliance on Natural Resources in Africa) of which Action Aid and Coast Rights Forum (CRF) are members. KeNRA was registered in 2012 and it has been operating from Mombasa until mid February 2014 when it shifted its secretariat to Nairobi.
Through CRF, IANRA funded its initial national grouping activities in Kenya that saw the recruitment and aligning of seven more members to form KeNRA
The remaining seven members come from variuos parts in Kenya and include Ngua Mlambo Development Trust (NMDT), Likoni Community Development Program (LICODEP), ILISHE Trust, Ngoma Trust, Oasis of Abject Image Deversion (OAID Kenya), Homa Hills Community Development Organisation (HHCDO) and Malindi Rights Forum (MRF).
Other who joined the network include Kimwarer Segutek, Kwale County Natural Resources Network, Centre for Human Rights and Civic Education and Ogiek Community Welfare.
The network is working closely with Save Lamu, Natural Justice, Kituo cha Sheria, PDNK and others.
At regional level, KeNRA and like minded organisations such as Haki Madini (Tanzania) have been working closely to form East Africa Natural Resources network to address natural resources matters at regional level.
KeNRA also been working with international networks such as Economic Social Cultural and Economic Rights- Network, Human Rights Defenders among others
Unable to display Facebook posts.
Please refer to our Error Message Reference.